Thursday, October 8, 2009

Task 3

Sorry I have been away for awhile. My laptop crashed this last week and I had to get it repaired. And unfortunately my school has blocked Blackboard... guess they do not like me doing homework doing my planning period. :)

I believe I have the same assumptions as many of my fellow teachers. All children can learn and that all children have a desire to learn. But I feel that as teachers we may have to dig deep in some students to spark their interests. As Walker stated, " by the age of 12 (middle/high school) students become lethargic about school work." (Walker, pg. 37) When I hear the question "when will I need this is life", I know it is time for some intervention and some application.

As I said all students can learn, but that does not mean that they will all learn at the same pace or even in the same way. Some of our students will grasp a new concept quickly while others fall behind. Some fall behind due to a lack of background knowledge and they may need some re-teaching. Other students may need an activity to see math problem in a concrete way as to an abstract lecture and example. Teachers have opportunity to influence the way students learn by adding variety and individualize attention when needed.

1 comment: