Thursday, November 12, 2009

Inquiry Plan

Thank you the suggestions on how to improve my inquiry plan, I went ahead in posted my final plan so that my group members could be refreshed on what I was wanting to accomplish.
Tonya the website you suggested was awesome!!

What element will be focused on?
Within Domain 3- Instruction I will be focusing on component 3d- Using assessment in instruction. I will use this component in my two senior math classes, one which is a 60 minute class I see every day and the other is a 90 minute block I see every other day.

How is this relevant in my classroom?
As a high school math teacher I have found it difficult at times finding new and effective ways to vary my instruction. Math has always seemed to be taught the same way for generations and there is very little information out there to support new ideas. By using new ways to engage and assess my students I will be creating new opportunities for them to be successful.

How does using assessment in instruction impact student learning?
By incorporating assessments into my daily instruction I will be able to gain feedback from my students faster so that I can change my daily plans if need be. My students will also be able to get feedback from me faster to help them master the content standards. Through a variety of assessments it will help my students to able to incorporate the standards into their own world. By incorporating the standards it will give them more meaning and help students retain the information.

How will the inquiry be engaged?
I will create new assessments that can be completed within a lesson. I will have students present homework problems to the class. I will give students a rubric for their presentations. I can also have students provide feedback papers to give the students after their presentations.
I can also give mini quizzes that the students can take in pairs. By working with a partner this can encourage the students to think aloud and have a good discussion about the problems. I will use several different grouping options. I will group students be proximity, random and by ability groups. The proximity and random grouping will create various groups that can all work on the same assignment. By all groups working on the same assignment it gives me the teacher an opportunity to assess and compare the class as a whole. I will also create different types of ability groups. One grouping I will place a low level students together and the high level students together. This gives me an opportunity to give each group problems that will challenge them uniquely. I will also use mixed ability groups so that the high level students can help assist the other students and possibly provide a different way to explain a problem.
As a the final assessment I will make it project based as opposed to the traditional paper test. For a final geometry assignment I will have the students complete a design project, in which they design a backpack, a bicycle or a landscape/park. To introduce the assignment I will use videos for The Futures Channel (http://www.thefutureschannel.com). The students will be able to choose a project that they want to do and that will interest them, and if they could to do a different design project if it was approved.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you found Tonya's website helpful- nice collaboration. How is the assessment going? Having you been giving the quizzes? How about the grouping?

    ReplyDelete